Monday, February 21, 2011

Elihu

Elihu says in Job 32:6
I am young and you are old,
So I held back from telling you what I think.
I thought, ‘Those who are older should speak,
For wisdom comes with age.’
But there is a spirit within people,
The breath of the Almighty within them,
That makes them intelligent.
Sometimes the elders are not wise.
Sometimes the aged do not understand justice.
So listen to me,
And tell me what you think.

He goes on to say he has been listening to Jobs three friends, and has found no reasonable logic to their responses to Job. And the friends were getting annoyed because Job kept saying he was innocent- but the friends insisted he did something wrong to be suffering the way he was. So Elihu, is a youngster that has been listening to the four of them discuss possible reasons Job could be suffering and he gets so frustrated he says-

Vs. 16
Should I continue to wait, now that you are silent?
Must I also remain silent?
No, I will speak my mind.
For I am full of pent-up words,
And the spirit within me urges me on.
I am like a cask of wine without a vent,
Like a new wineskin ready to burst!
I must speak to find relief,
So let me give my answers.
I won’t play favorites
Or try to flatter anyone.
For if I tried flattery,
My Creator would soon destroy me.

That is deep. That is exactly how I feel, though. Working in ministry can be full of suffering and hard circumstances. I feel the same way as Elihu when he hesitates to speak because he is young- but then finds it so difficult to keep quiet because he is full of God’s spirit trying to speak truth. It is like a fire inside that needs air to fully develop, the fire inside becomes stronger when I allow it to come out of my mouth and encounter breath. If I let the fire stay inside of me- it will go out.

I also agree with Elihu’s statement on not flattering people. I rarely flatter someone… one reason is because when I see other people flatter someone, they are usually the type to do it all the time, and it looks like they are kissing up to them. I can see their motives when they flatter nonstop to find some sort of acceptance with the other person. So my reason for not flattering is not just because of that, but because I believe when people realize that life is not about forcing compliments, rather, it is about righteousness and love, then they will understand the meaninglessness of fake, forceful, flattery. I do not need to do any fake flattering. It gives me no satisfaction.

Elihu continues to rebuke Job for questioning God, and not being wise about his perception of what is happening to him. He tells Job that God sent this suffering to keep him from a life of evil. Elihu now talks about how his heart is pounding as he thinks of Gods power and majesty… His sovereignty. The wise will show God reverence. Now the Lord speaks to Job! He takes over the conversation. The Lord questions Job of his arrogance and his ‘knowledge’ that he claims to have. He tells Job that his pride must stop. The Lord keeps challenging Job with questions about creation and how it all started. Finally Job replies and covers his mouth, saying, “I am nothing- how could I ever find answers? I will cover my mouth with my hand. I have said too much already. I have nothing more to say.”

And that is probably the wisest thing Job has said in the whole book!
He will now just shut up.
He sits in the ash and repents.
Then the Lord tells Job to pray for his 3 friends that have spoken wrongly about God. When Job does this, God returns everything back to him, but does it twice! He receives a double blessing! Job also has 7 more sons, and 3 more daughters. It says that the 3 daughters were very lovely… I must be a descendent of Jobs’ daughters :)

No comments:

Post a Comment