Monday, December 6, 2010

my first sermon!

Title- Called to Serve
Topic- Service
Theme- Why we Serve
Thesis- Scripture gives us several reasons for why we should serve God.
INTRO-

REASON #1 Command

Luke 10:2-3 He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few, ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. GO! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.”

• I innocently believed the lies of the wolves in my life

• I was someone who had to be served on for most of my life…

• *talk about how people had to serve me* (addiction, hospitals, police, family)

• AND I WAS MISERABLE.

• *IT IS better to be a lamb than a wolf- lambs have a shepherd!- wolves are left by themselves. (lone wolf)

• God commands us to GO! **Not to Sit and Wait to be served.**

• If you are waiting to be served all your life- YOU WILL BE MISERABLE.

• God says to GO! And WORK!

REASON #2 Motivation (we need to be motivated)

James 13:14-15 “Now that I, your Lord and teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should DO as I have DONE for you.”

• I want to be like Jesus

• It is Jesus that Motivates me

• Motivate= to move!

• Sometimes we need a push to move, we need a MOTIVATOR

• *Push demonstration* 1-Hear about Jesus 2-Believe 3-Set Free!

• Jesus forgave me, died for me, and gave me A REASON TO LIVE!

• That has given me a Push!

• Jesus has Delivered me and set me Free! A PUSH!

REASON #3 Desire

John 4:31-35 Meanwhile his disciples urged him, “Rabbi, eat something.” But he said to them, “I have food that you know nothing about.” Then his disciples said to each other, “Could someone have brought him food?”

“My food,” said Jesus, “is to DO the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. Do you not say, “Four months more and then the harvest?” I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for the harvest.”

• Jesus states here that his FOOD- his nourishment- is to DO the work of God.

• Just like food is something we need and want, our service should be our DESIRE.

• When we take our mind off our fleshly desires and onto the desires of the Lord- we will WANT TO SERVE.

• It will become part of who we are.

• Because of my Salvation and Testimony- I DESIRE TO SERVE

• My Deep Desire is to Serve God in everything I do because I have been motivated by a Big Push from GOD!

• *Story at altar*

Because the Lord has saved me, and chosen me, because He loves me-

• I am MOTIVATED WITH DESIRE TO CARRY OUT THE COMMAND GIVEN TO ME BY GOD!

God states in:

Isaiah 41:9

I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you, I said, “You are my servant. I have chosen you and have not neglected you. So do not fear for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment